Making Literacy Visible
Presented by Douglas Fisher, PH.D.
- Douglas Fisher
Students must develop surface-level knowledge if they are ever going to go deep. Deep learning can facilitate transfer, which has been a goal shared by educators for as long as there have been teachers. This workshop demonstrates how using the right approach at the right time helps you more intentionally design classroom experiences that hit the surface, deep, and transfer phases of learning.
- Apply the principles of John Hattie's Visible Learning research to the literacy classroom
- Understand the three phases of learning and the unique importance of each: surface, deep, and transfer
- Learn which literacy practices have the greatest impact on student growth (and which have the least) to maximize teaching time
- Strategize what practices to implement when in a student’s learning, while keeping rigor in mind
- Assess the impact of one’s teaching on one’s students—and what to do next as a result
Thu, October 17 2019 9:00 AM - 3:00 PMCascade Rooms
Fri, October 18 2019 9:00 AM - 3:00 PMCascade Rooms