Mental Health & High School Curriculum Resource: Teacher Training
Teachers ONLY: This training is open to certified teachers working with grades 9-12 who expect to deliver the full Curriculum Resource
- Yvonne Aviva
OSPI has identified the Mental Health & High School Curriculum Resource for use in high school. The resource improves mental health literacy and it is widely taught in schools across Canada and internationally. The material is medically accurate and designed for classroom settings. This Teacher Training prepares classroom teachers in the use of the Mental Health & High School Curriculum Resource in their classroom, providing a basic overview of mental health and illness and orientation to the teaching materials.
Participants should be teachers with support to attend from building or district administrators. We request teachers share implementation information after teaching. A tool will be provided to teachers for tracking as they teach to students. Information collected will significantly aid continued teacher training opportunities and mental health education for Washington students.
Teaching the Mental Health & High School Curriculum Resource: Teaching the Curriculum Resource takes between 10-12 instructional hours. The following modules can be easily organized into 45-minute to 1-hour sessions, usually delivered over a period of one to two weeks:
- Module 1: Reducing stigma
- Module 2: Understanding mental health and mental illness
- Module 3: Information on specific mental illness – eating disorders, anxiety, depression, ADHD, obsessive compulsive disorder, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and PTSD
- Module 4: Experience of mental illness
- Module 5: Seeking help and finding support
- Module 6: Importance of positive mental health
- If you do not receive a confirmation email, you are not fully registered.
- For Clock Hours you must complete ALL registration fields (name, school, certificate #, etc.)
- This session is only open to teachers working with grades 9-12
- Bring a laptop, tablet, surface-pro, phone, or other device to access the internet
- Please bring a lunch
- Will receive a full Mental Health & High School Curriculum Resource guide (binders) and log-in for online modules
Tue, March 20 2018 9:00 AM - 4:45 PMCheck-In: 8:45 AMRegistration must be complete to attend. Register on PD Enroller and look for confirmation email.
Event # 50742
- 21 / 40
- Registration Ends
- Wednesday Mar 14, 2018 12:30 PM